The French monks of Clunny settled down in Villafranca in 1070 in order to take care of pilgrims on their way to Compostela. It is known that there were several hospices for pilgrims like Santiago, St. Lázaro, St. Roque, St. Juan …
Pilgrims, most of them French, congregated in this area and the new borough of “Villa-francorum” arose.
During the centuries XIV th and XV th a new born group of craftsmen and guilds developed and grew up in the following years.
In 1486 Villafranca was made into a marquisate.
Donations by the Marquis contributed to augment the monumental wealth of this village.